Tuesday, July 19, 2011

What type of mental health problem is this?

I'm 30 and having been through depression and OCD and anxiety since I was about 14 I've now decided that there is only one thing that would solve all my issues. Turning the clock back. The 'best' period of my life was between about the ages of 21 and 24. I was at uni, had a social group and my favourite thing was going to the pub on the weekend with that group. All my OCD and problems were at a minimum during this time. Then I had one of my episodes which caused me to isolate myself for along time and so lose touch with my social group. Six years on and I have done everything possible to pick myself off the ground and make a life for myself. I have made a couple of friends, I have had a couple of boyfriends, I have got into a rigorous excersise routine, i have changed jobs and locations, I have went travelling for gods sake. I have persevered with all of these things for 6 years waiting for the joy to come back but you know what? It hasnt. I dont care about any of them. I am a vacant emotionless robot when I am sitting in a social situation. i am brilliant at faking a smile and holding a conversation but there is nothing in my heart. All the photos of me in interesting parts of the world are of a girl smiling on the surface but who doesnt give a damn whether she is standing infront of the great wall of china or the local shopping arcade. Every thing I do has the sole purpose of passing time. I'm not trying to get to anything in particular cos I never look forward to anything. I just want time to pass. This is not like depression I've had in the past - I have energy to go to they gym, I can fall asleep easily, I can go to work every day, i never cry or feel despair. But the only spark of proper human emotion which I feel is when I recollect the memories of getting ready to go out and walking to the pub and meeting my social group and being with them and the fun times we had. For six years I have been consiously waiting for the moment that I feel that stirring of feelings in my heart again so I think its safe to say its not going to. The only thing I want in this whole world is to turn the clock back . I would have assumed trying all the things I have should maybe have triggered other aspirations but they havnt, not even a little bit - I only want that clock to go back. As far as I can see you need to have feelings to be any use to other people in this world and as the only thing that would get my heart back to being able to feel again is an absolute impossibilty so I am no use to anyone. I've just read this back and I realise my matter of fact tone wont evoke sympathy - I understand that - it just comes from my lack of emotion. I just wanted to know if there is anyne else out there who recognises themselves in this?

No comments:

Post a Comment